Please note that certain Sheriff's Office web pages are in the process of being updated. Page content may be revised multiple times during this process. We apologize for any inconvenience.
Sheriff S. Duane Lewis began his law enforcement career in 1984 as a Deputy Sheriff with the Berkeley County Sheriff's Office. Lewis served as a Patrolman with the City of Charleston Police Department and obtained the rank of Investigator. He also served as Special Agent/Investigator with the INS Investigations Bureau a National Arson Investigative Unit for the Insurance Industry. Lewis returned to his home town and accepted a position with the Goose Creek Police Department and was later promoted to Detective Sergeant and managed the Detective Division. In 1994, Lewis worked with the South Carolina Public Service Authority (Santee Cooper) as a Special Agent in the Law Enforcement Division. He later was promoted to Major and later Deputy Chief and was responsible for Criminal Investigations, Training and Development, Internal Investigations and Federal Regulatory Regulations.
In 2015, he offered and was subsequently elected as the Sheriff of Berkeley County South Carolina in June 2015. He faced opposition in the 2015 Special Election and won by majority vote. Sheriff Lewis is a graduate of Goose Creek High School and Academic Training in Criminal Justice and Fire Sciences. He graduated from the prestigious FBI Command College and the FBI Law Enforcement Executive Development Seminar.
· Born in Conway, South Carolina
· Graduated from Goose Creek High School
· Graduated from the prestigious FBI Command College
· Graduated from the FBI Law Enforcement Executive Development Seminar
· Elected Sheriff of Berkeley County June 2015
· Member of the FBI Law Enforcement Executives Development Association
· Member of the South Carolina Sheriff's Association
· Member of the Police Chief's Association
· Member of the Berkeley County Chamber of Commerce
· Member of the Exchange Club of Cane Bay
· Member of the Moncks Corner Lions Club
· Member of the Fraternal Order of Police, Berkeley County Lodge 19
· Married to Janet Rabon Lewis and has six children and one grandson.
Switchboard Phone numbers:
843-719-4234 (Moncks Corner)
843-723-3800 ext. 4234 (Charleston)
843-567-3136 ext. 4234 (St. Stephen)
Switchboard Office Hours:
9:00 AM - 5:00 PM M-F
(Individual department hours may vary)
P.O. Box 6122 Moncks Corner, SC 29461
Click here for locations
Copyright © 2017, Berkeley County Government