This office handles all workers’ compensation claims as well as investigates accidents involving vehicle and equipment damage.
If you are a citizen and you witness a safety hazard, an accident or injury involving a Berkeley County/BCWS employee or damage to Berkeley County/BCWS property, either report it to their supervisor or call the Safety & Risk Management Department at (843) 719-4163.
Specific functions performed by the Safety & Risk Management Department include:
- Administering the Workers’ Compensation Program for Berkeley County and BCWS.
- Processing workers’ compensation claims.
- Maintaining all workers’ compensation claim files for the County and BCWS.
- Completing and maintaining Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) record-keeping logs and reports.
- Training all Berkeley County/BCWS employees in general safety awareness, hazardous communications, blood borne pathogens and defensive driving.
- Conducting investigations on accidents and near misses.
- Conducting job site audits to assist employees in complying with applicable regulations and to record violations.
- Providing safety training materials, including safety videos and handouts.
- Working closely with Supervisors and Management to correct hazards.
- Training County departments in different safety standards such as confined space, fall protection, personal protective equipment, general construction, identify theft and ergonomics.
- Preparing statistical analyses of injuries and accidents to determine proactive approaches to prevention.
- Administering the Alcohol and Drug testing program.