The Legal Department provides legal advice to Berkeley County Council and Berkeley County staff. We cannot provide legal advice to the public. Therefore, we have outlined resources to assist the public with finding an attorney, accessing public records and addressing various legal concerns. The Berkeley County Legal Department’s responsibilities include:
- Accepting service on behalf of the County, its departments, and elected officials, in most matters.
- Drafting and reviewing contracts, resolutions and ordinances that carry out the general business of the County
- Participating in the preparation and execution of multi-governmental contracts between the county and outside agencies
- Providing legal counsel and assistance on such matters as personnel issues, contracts, collections, recording problems and issues relating to the application of Federal or State laws, as well as interpretation of locally enacted ordinances
- Providing information to our congressional delegation as well as the state delegation regarding certain matters pending before Congress and the General Assembly
- Coordinating and directing litigation on behalf of the County and in which the County is a named party, as well as represent the County and its employees in defense litigation
- Serving as a liaison between the Insurance Reserve Fund in certain matters and claims
- Fostering an environment which is conducive to the best interest of Berkeley County through professional contacts and services on various boards and committees
- Provide assistance to County departments in responding to Freedom of Information Act requests.
- Offering assistance in procurement actions associated with the County
- For attorney information, call the S.C. Lawyer Referral Service at 800-868-2284 or the Neighborhood Legal Assistance Program at 888-346-5562
- To schedule criminal cases for trial, contact the Solicitor’s Office (843) 719-4529
- For Public Defender, call (843) 899-2777.
- To file general partnership forms, contact the Register of Deed’s Office (843) 719-4084
- For marriage licenses or marriage records, contact Probate Court (843) 719-4519
- To record land transactions, contact the Register of Deed’s Office (843) 719-4084
- For restraining orders, contact the Magistrates Court (843) 719-4220
- For payment of traffic tickets, contact the Magistrates Court (843) 719-4220
MONCKS CORNER, S.C.- (Monday, March 16)- Berkeley County leadership has met with county directors and elected officials throughout the day to develop a plan for County operations in response to COVID-19 (novel coronavirus).…
MONCKS CORNER, S.C.- (Tuesday, February 11, 2020) — Berkeley County Government launched a new website this week, showcasing many new features that will better serve Berkeley County citizens. Additionally, Berkeley County Sheriff’s Office’s…