The Real Property Service’s Office values over 110,000 properties in Berkeley County. The department analyzes, researches, and processes deeds and plats annually to keep its database up to date. All functions are mandated by South Carolina Code of Laws with oversight from the Department of Revenue.
Berkeley County Reassessment Program
Real Property Services (Assessor) Office has implemented the 2019 Reassessment program. State law requires each County to Reassess all property every five years (South Carolina Code of Laws 12-43-217). We last reassessed in 2019.
1981 | 1985 | 1999 | 2004 (delayed) | 2009 | 2014 | 2019 | 2024 |
Assessments and Taxation
Property taxes continue to represent the main source of revenue for school districts, special tax districts and local government under the taxing authority established by the State of South Carolina. Property taxes fund schools, libraries, law enforcement, courts, jails, emergency medical services, and other public safety services. Consequently, the Real Property Service’s Office provides an essential function for all taxing entities in the County that rely on the annual property assessments our department generates.
The respective budgets for each entity (School, County, Municipality) are divided by their appropriate assessments to establish a millage rate. The millage rate is then applied back to each property to generate a tax bill. Each entity sets their budget and millage.
- Appraise Real Property & Manufactured/Mobile Homes in Berkeley County except real property that is assessed by the Department of Revenue (e.g. manufacturing facilities)
- Reappraise and reassess all property every five years in accordance with Section 12-43-217 of SC Code of Laws. Next Reassessment program is 2024.
- Appraise property accurately and fairly using the fair market value
- Accept & process appeals of values generated by this office
- Transfer ownership of real property through recorded deeds
- Review & qualify properties for Legal residence Special Assessment and Agricultural Use
- Process Rollback taxes for changes in use from Agricultural to alternate use and provide Rollback estimates upon request
- Provide property record cards (sketch of buildings & other related information)
- Measure & appraise new construction and new parcels for tax purposes
- Maintain & process Multiple Lot Discount, Home Owners Associations, Builder/Developers Discount, Commercial ATI Exemption and Active Military Residential Exemptions
- Change mailing addresses for real property & mobile home owners as requested
- Represents the County in real property & mobile home value appeals to the Board of Assessment Appeals and the South Carolina Administrative Law Court
MONCKS CORNER, S.C.- (Monday, April 6, 2020) — Construction on the Old Mount Holly Turn Lane onto Highway 52 has started and is expected to be complete by May 6. During construction there…
MONCKS CORNER, S.C.- (Friday, April 3, 2020) – South Carolina Governor Henry McMaster issued Executive Order 2020-16, which orders the closure of all public access points to the state’s beaches, as well as closure…
MONCKS CORNER, S.C.- (Thursday, March 26, 2020) – Berkeley County Government offices and courts will be CLOSED to the public and employees on Friday, March 27. Berkeley County buildings and facilities will resume…
MONCKS CORNER, S.C.- (Monday, March 16)- Berkeley County leadership has met with county directors and elected officials throughout the day to develop a plan for County operations in response to COVID-19 (novel coronavirus).…
MONCKS CORNER, S.C.- (Monday, February 24, 2020) — Berkeley County and Infrastructure Consulting & Engineering, PLLC (ICE) are the recipients of an Engineering Excellence Award for the Daniel Island Roundabout project. The American…