MONCKS CORNER, S.C.– (Tuesday, March 17, 2020) — The Berkeley County Courthouse, located at 300B California Avenue in Moncks Corner, is CLOSED TO THE PUBLIC beginning Tuesday, March 17, 2020, until further notice. Please be advised of the following closures and changes in court schedules.
- Grand Jury has been excused for Wednesday, March 25.
- All Jurors summoned for the week of March 23-27, 2020 are EXCUSED and should not appear for juror service.
- Summary Court will be conducting bond hearings at least once a day.
- General Sessions Court will be handling guilty pleas for the local jail on Monday and a half-day on Tuesday, upon Judge’s approval.
- Family Court will be hearing ONLY emergencies and statutory mandated hearings including domestic abuse, DSS probable cause, juvenile detention and bench warrant hearings.
- CSE Admin Rules will proceed as scheduled on Wednesday with DSS Attorney LeBarron in the Jury Panel room.
- Probate Court is CLOSED to the public. Marriage licenses may be picked up at the Family Court Drive-thru on Jail Street behind the Courthouse.
- The courts will be open to the public on a limited basis. All jury trials and traffic court cases will be rescheduled.
- Bond hearings will continue twice a day at the normal times of 8 a.m. and 6:30 p.m. Attorneys and victims are asked to communicate by phone, rather than in person, if possible. All bond hearings are by video-conferencing. BONDING COMPANIES should call the bond court to coordinate matters involving surety bonds.
- The following hearings will still take place: Restraining orders and bond hearings. In addition, other non-jury trials including, but not limited to small claims, claim and deliveries, and public sales may continue at the discretion of the judge. All eviction proceedings will be halted unless it involves essential services and/or harm to person or property. Please call the court if you are uncertain if your case has been continued. Court phone numbers are listed below.
- You will not be allowed to enter the courthouse building unless you have a scheduled hearing and only at the designated time on your notice. Please appear for court with only your attorney (if applicable) and any necessary witnesses. Please do not bring children. We do not offer any protective items to help prevent the spread of illnesses.
- You may continue to file pleadings with the court. New document filings can be dropped off in the drop box located at each court or at the window at the entrance to the court on Live Oak Drive in Moncks Corner. Also, all documents can still be submitted by mail. Make sure you enclose a stamped/self-addressed envelope for your receipt and clocked copies. Please submit payment by money order or check. If you have trouble with a drop box location, please call the appropriate court and speak with an employee. Phone numbers are listed below.
- If an immediate hearing is required, you will be contacted by telephone for scheduling. Make sure you include all relevant phone numbers with your filing.
- If possible, please make payments on traffic tickets via our internet portal. If you must pay in person, payment will only be taken at the window at our Moncks Corner location.
- If you are encountering symptoms associated with COVID-19, please contact the court prior to appearing for any court session. Please note, a decision on a continuance will be made on a case-by-case basis. Many hearings can and will be conducted by video-conferencing.
Please contact our courts by telephone if you have any questions. We will remain open during our regular business hours of 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. to answer your phone calls.
- Moncks Corner (all matters): 843-719-4050
- Goose Creek (small claims matters only): 843-553-6099
- Goose Creek (evictions and all other matters): 843-553-7080
- St. Stephen (all matters): 843-567-7400
- Bond Court: 843-719-4549
– Prepared by the Berkeley County Public Information Office –