9-1-1 is for emergencies, potential emergencies, or when an emergency is imminent. Ask yourself:
- Is there a danger to life or property?
- Is there a serious medical emergency (chest pains, seizures, bleeding, etc.)
- Is there any type of fire (building, vehicle, brush, etc.)
- Is there any crime in-progress (robbery, burglary, prowler, fights, etc.)
- Are there any other life threatening situations (traffic accident with injuries, stuck in high water, etc.)
You should call 9-1-1 anytime you believe there is an actual emergency. If you are unsure, call 9-1-1 and the dispatcher can assist you.