Can I get flood insurance if I’m not mapped in a flood zone


Because Berkeley County participates in the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP), most properties in the county are eligible to purchase federally subsidized flood insurance. Standard home insurance policies do not cover flood damage, therefore, if you do not have a mandatory flood policy it’s important to determine if your home is at risk. It’s also important to know that there is typically a 30-day waiting period from date of purchase until your policy becomes effective. Flood policies can secure coverage for residential properties up to $250,000 for buildings and up to $100,000 for building contents, which can be purchased together or independently. Commercial property is similar with coverage limits at $500,000 for the building and $500,000 for contents. Rating information and further discussion can be found at

Comments are closed.