Do I have to carry flood insurance?


Yes. Flood insurance is mandatory for the life of a mortgage. If the home is in a special flood hazard area then an elevation certificate with pictures is required for proper rating. If the home is not in the flood zone or the homeowner disagrees they may apply for a Letter of Map Amendment (LOMA). This would remove the structure only from the flood zone and then lower the insurance rating. This application information can be obtained at the Berkeley County Office Building in the Building & Codes Department.

Comments are closed.