MONCKS CORNER, S.C. – (Thursday, May 26, 2022) – Berkeley County has awarded approximately $1 million in Community Development Block Grants (CDBG) to seven different local nonprofits and municipalities. The money stems from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) and will provide Berkeley County communities with resources to address unique community development needs.
Funding has been awarded to the following local organizations:
- Angel Wings Foundation, Inc. – $14,600 for facility rehab
- Habitat for Humanity – $263,000 for infrastructure improvements
- St. Stephen American Legion Hut – $231,257 for ADA compliance
- Tri-Community Center – $84,300 for fencing and driveway resurfacing
- Helping Hands of Goose Creek – $11,400 for facility improvements
- Changed Lives Ministry – $175,000 for a men’s facility
- Cross Community Center – $264,000 for facility improvements
The projects will be funded beginning July 1. The Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) Program provides annual grants on a formula basis to states, cities, and counties to develop viable urban communities by providing decent housing and a suitable living environment, and by expanding economic opportunities, principally for low- and moderate-income persons.
For more information on the CDBG Program, visit the U.S. Housing and Urban Development Program website.
-Prepared by the Berkeley County Public Information Office-