- Conduct Residential and Commercial Building Inspections for all types of construction
- Conduct Residential and Commercial Plan Reviews For Code Compliance
- Conduct Commercial Plan Reviews For Sprinkler Systems and Fire Alarms
- Building Code Interpretation
- Fire Marshall Service
- Manufactured Home Installation Inspections
- Codes Enforcement for the County Zoning Ordinance
What kind of inspections do we do?
- Fire Sprinkler and Fire Alarm
- Swimming Pools
- Construction Trailers
- Manufactured Home Installation
Note: Contact the Building Inspection Department or Permitting Department for the detailed inspection list under each type or discipline.
Community Rating System
Unincorporated Berkeley County is in the “Community Rating System” (CRS), which allows residents a discount on flood insurance premiums.
- Permit Submittal Requirements for Residential Construction
- Square Footage Schedule for New Single Family Residence
- Berkeley County enforces the latest South Carolina State adopted versions of the International Building Code, International Residential Code, International Mechanical Code, International Plumbing Code, International Gas Code, International Fire Code, International Energy Efficiency Code and the National Electric Code.
- Building plans must be designed by a State of South Carolina licensed Design Professional (Engineer and/or Architect) for Residential and Commercial. See Building and Building Regulations under Permitting link for exceptions to residential requirements.
- Design criteria for plan submittal must meet a minimum of 133 mph winds; “D” Seismic for Commercial and “D-2” Seismic for Residential. Interpolation for wind is allowed. Plans shall have a Code Analysis, Design Pressures (D/P Rating) for all doors and windows, soils reports for commercial and soils assumption for residential, detailed construction documents for all disciplines. Required Special Inspections for Commercial Projects.
Septic Tank Application
- Go To www.scdhec.gov/
- Scroll down to the Septic Tanks section.
- Choose “Application for Permit to Construct an Individual Sewage Treatment and Disposal System”
Instructions for free viewing of a current code book
- Access the codes by logging in as a return user.
- Select applicable code and section
- Select chapter and/or section
There are other sites on the web where the codes may be viewed and/or purchased.
MONCKS CORNER, S.C.- (August 3, 2020) — All Berkeley County Offices will close at 2 p.m. Monday, August 3 due to Tropical Storm Isaias. This closure includes the Berkeley County Courthouse, Libraries, Animal…
MONCKS CORNER, S.C.- (Friday, May 8, 2020) – Berkeley County Government buildings will reopen to the public on Wednesday, May 20. The Voters Registration and Elections Office will be open to the public…
MONCKS CORNER, S.C.- (Friday, March 27, 2020) – Berkeley County Government offices and courts are closed to the public and employees TODAY, Friday, March 27. This does NOT include the Voter Registration and…
MONCKS CORNER, S.C.- (Monday, March 23, 2020) — Berkeley County continues to adjust operations in response to COVID-19. Berkeley County is restricting public access into County buildings and facilities and will continue offering…
MONCKS CORNER, S.C.- (Monday, March 16)- Berkeley County leadership has met with county directors and elected officials throughout the day to develop a plan for County operations in response to COVID-19 (novel coronavirus).…