NOTICE OF INTENTION TO MODIFY BUILDING CODES
- Conduct Residential and Commercial Building Inspections for all types of construction
- Conduct Residential and Commercial Plan Reviews For Code Compliance
- Conduct Commercial Plan Reviews For Sprinkler Systems and Fire Alarms
- Building Code Interpretation
- Fire Marshall Service
- Manufactured Home Installation Inspections
- Codes Enforcement for the County Zoning Ordinance
What kind of inspections do we do?
- Fire Sprinkler and Fire Alarm
- Swimming Pools
- Construction Trailers
- Manufactured Home Installation
Note: Contact the Building Inspection Department or Permitting Department for the detailed inspection list under each type or discipline.
Request for inspection made before 10 am will receive next day inspections
Community Rating System
Unincorporated Berkeley County is in the "Community Rating System" (CRS), which allows residents a discount on flood insurance premiums.
- Permit Submittal Requirements for Residential Construction
- Square Footage Schedule for New Single Family Residence
- Berkeley County enforces the latest South Carolina State adopted versions of the International Building Code, International Residential Code, International Mechanical Code, International Plumbing Code, International Gas Code, International Fire Code, International Energy Efficiency Code and the National Electric Code.
- Building plans must be designed by a State of South Carolina licensed Design Professional (Engineer and/or Architect) for Residential and Commercial. See Building and Building Regulations under Permitting link for exceptions to residential requirements.
- Design criteria for plan submittal must meet a minimum of 133 mph winds; “D” Seismic for Commercial and “D-2” Seismic for Residential. Interpolation for wind is allowed. Plans shall have a Code Analysis, Design Pressures (D/P Rating) for all doors and windows, soils reports for commercial and soils assumption for residential, detailed construction documents for all disciplines. Required Special Inspections for Commercial Projects.
Septic Tank Application
- Go To www.scdhec.gov/
- Scroll down to the Septic Tanks section.
- Choose "Application for Permit to Construct an Individual Sewage Treatment and Disposal System"
Instructions for free viewing of a current code book
- Access the codes by logging in as a return user.
- Select applicable code and section
- Select chapter and/or section
There are other sites on the web where the codes may be viewed and/or purchased.
Animal Control Seizes Dozens of Cats from Hoarding Situation in St. Stephen
MONCKS CORNER, S.C. – (Tuesday, February 14, 2023) – On February 9, 2023, Berkeley County Animal Control officers responded to a hoarding situation at a residential property near Harristown Road in St. Stephen, where they discovered dozens of cats in…
Berkeley County Announces Upcoming Holiday Closures & Hours
MONCKS CORNER, S.C. – (Monday, December 5, 2022) – Berkeley County Government announces its upcoming closures and unique hours for its various facilities during this holiday season. GOVERNMENT OFFICES: All County Government offices…
Berkeley County to Hold In-House Job Fair October 6
MONCKS CORNER, S.C. – (Tuesday, October 4, 2022) – Berkeley County Government is hosting an in-house job fair for open County positions on Thursday, October 6, 2022 from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.…
Emergency Response Vehicles Delayed in Berkeley County Throughout Ian
MONCKS CORNER, S.C. – (Friday, September 30, 2022) – Emergency responses across Berkeley County are currently delayed. Due to high winds, high-profile vehicles (i.e. ambulances, fire trucks, and utility vehicles) are periodically suspended…
Berkeley County to Partially Activate Emergency Operations Center Friday, Sept. 30
MONCKS CORNER, S.C. – (Thursday, September 29, 2022) – Berkeley County will move from OPCON 3 to OPCON 2 at 6 a.m. on Friday, September 30, partially activating its Emergency Operations Center (EOC).…