MONCKS CORNER, S.C. – (Monday, August 28, 2023) – Berkeley County Emergency Management officials and leaders are currently monitoring Tropical Storm Idalia. National weather experts are predicting the storm will become a major hurricane before making landfall Tuesday, August 29, 2023, in the Gulf Coast of Florida. County officials have been meeting and discussing preparations for any potential impacts to our area.
Idalia is likely to be a wind and rain event for Berkeley County, starting Wednesday afternoon and into Thursday morning. Expected rainfall is 6 to 8 inches. Other potential impacts from Idalia, including risk for tornadoes and storm surge, remains low at this time for Berkeley County.
Crews with Berkeley County Roads and Bridges have been out ahead of the storm, checking on flood prone areas, storm drains and culverts throughout the County.
OPERATING CONDITIONS: The County’s Emergency Operations Center (EOC) currently remains at OPCON 3 (normal operating conditions), with no activation at this time. Berkeley County leaders are encouraging citizens to prepare for Idalia by making a plan and building an emergency kit. View our 2023 County Hurricane Guide in English, Spanish, and Portuguese.
SANDBAGS: Sandbags are now available at the following sites on a first-come, first-served basis. The sites are self-serve. More locations will be added, as needed.
- Hanahan – The ballfields behind Trident Technical College at Mabeline Road and Railroad Avenue
- Moncks Corner – Off Carolina Avenue behind the railroad tracks (behind Moncks Corner Fire Department headquarters)
- Moncks Corner / Summerville – Central Berkeley Fire & EMS Station 3, 115 Sunview Avenue, Moncks Corner
- Goose Creek – ACROSS FROM Goose Creek Fire Department headquarters at 201 Button Hall Avenue, Goose Creek
- Huger – Cainhoy Fire Department Station 6, 1004 United Drive, Huger
CITIZEN CALL LINE: The Citizen Call Line (843-719-4800) will be operational by 8 p.m. Monday, August 28, for non-emergency calls ONLY. Callers will hear an automated response around-the-clock about County storm prep information.
For the latest news and updates on Idalia, follow Berkeley County Government on Facebook and at www.berkeleycountysc.gov. Also, sign up for all County news and alerts through the County’s Notification System HERE.
– Prepared by the Berkeley County Public Information Office –