Goal: Detect and eliminate illicit discharges into the Berkeley County MS4 system and receiving waters. An illicit discharge is any discharge that is not entirely composed of stormwater, except for discharges authorized by SCDHEC.
The following are common sources of illicit discharges to an MS4:
- Sanitary sewer wastewater
- Effluent from septic tanks
- Car wash wastewaters
- Improper oil disposal
- Radiator flushing disposal
- Laundry Wastewaters/gray water
- Spills from roadway accidents
- Improper disposal of auto and household toxics
- Carpet cleaning wastewaters
- Pet waste
- Yard debris in street or drainage system
- Cooking grease
Please refer to the Illicit Discharge Complaint Printable Form to report any common problems.