Register of Deeds

The ROD does not report information to the credit bureaus. If there is a problem on your credit report, you will need to contact the credit bureaus to resolve the issue: Equifax, Experian, TransUnion.

If you are told that there is a lien against you, you may access our online records at using your last and first name in the search.

How do I get a copy of my deed or plat?

Four options in order of preference:

  1. For land documents filed after July 1, 1983 or plat documents filed after January 1, 2000, search online at  (No charge for search or copies)

Where is my original deed?

If an attorney handled your closing, you should have received the original deed from the firm after it was recorded.  The Register of Deeds returns all recorded documents to the filer.

Why do I not have a plat on record?

If there is no plat on record, you must have your property surveyed and have the plat approved and recorded.

How can I find covenants & restrictions for a property? For restrictions recorded after July 1, 1983 go to our online search at Type the subdivision name in the grantor box, and press search. For restrictions filed prior to 1983, records must be checked in-office.

The Register of Deeds staff cannot offer any legal advice. We suggest that you speak with an attorney concerning legal questions. The South Carolina Bar Association offers a variety of legal resources and educational events for the public. In addition, they provide a free online question service for qualified individuals. Visit the SC Bar website for more information.

No forms are provided in the office.  For limited forms available online, visit our “forms and documents” page. We are unable to provide certain forms to the public or offer any legal advice. Please be advised that the staff of the Register of Deeds Office cannot legally assist in the preparation or completion of any document or form.   Please make certain that documents are fully completed before presented for recording.  We suggest that you contact an attorney for any legal needs.

We appreciate your help in finding errors in our online public records. We have done our best to prevent errors, but they do occur on occasion. Please email us at and we will correct the problem as soon as possible.

Yes, we accept documents by mail. Include a cover letter with your name and phone number in case we need to contact you, a self-addressed stamped envelope so we can return the document to you, and a check made payable to Berkeley County. If you have questions about the amount to put on the check, go to our “recording fee schedule” under forms and documents.

Yes, we will process and scan your document and return the original to you generally within 2 business days. If you mail in your document, please include a self-addressed stamped envelope for the return of documents.

Yes, land record documents recorded after July 1, 1983 are available online. Plat records are available online after January 1, 2000. To look up documents online, visit our land records website at  Instructions for land records website use can be found on this site.

The Register of Deeds records deeds, mortgages, powers of attorney, plats, easements, mechanics liens, federal tax liens, mortgage satisfactions and other documents pertaining to real estate. Berkeley County Land records are available in-office beginning in 1884.

You will not receive anything from the Register of Deeds Office.  Your attorney or lender should notify you of the payoff and a mortgage satisfaction will be recorded in the county to remove the lien from your property.  You should receive the recorded paid mortgage from the attorney or lender. You should have received the actual deed for your property at closing.

Comments are closed.