What we do . . .
- Records deeds, plats, mortgages, state and federal tax liens, and any document pertaining to real estate transactions in Berkeley County
- Assures that clearly established legal requirements are met prior to recording
- Provides public access in the most efficient and courteous manner possible
- Assists the general public in obtaining for a fee, photo-copies of deeds, plats or other recorded documents
- Collects state mandated recording fees on all documents (see Fee Schedule)
- Provides certified true copies of recorded documents at the rate of $10.00 per document
- Provides on-site information on recordings
- Provides access to available records from other county offices via networked computers
- Provides online access to indexing information and images of all records beginning July 1, 1983 to present date. With accurate book and page information, “deed” images are available online beginning in January, 1974.
. . . and do not
- Perform title searches or extensive record or lien searches.
- Give legal advice or make legal recommendations of any kind. (For attorney information, call the S.C. Lawyers Referral Service at 800-868-2284 or the Neighborhood Legal Assistance Program (843) 761-8355
- Witness or notarize documents
- Prepare or complete deeds or other legal documents of any kind
- Check taxes: check Clerk of Court records, delinquent taxes, probate court records, or any other office's records in county. Although access is provided, The Register of Deeds office is unable to interpret records of other offices
- Report any public information to credit bureaus or agencies of any kind
There are some companies that access County public records for commercial use. If you should receive a letter from an independent company offering copies of your deeds for a large amount, (i.e. $79.00, etc.) please be aware that copies of your documents from 1983-Present can be obtained from the Register of Deeds website search.berkeleydeeds.com at no cost or can be obtained in the office for a nominal fee.
HELP US FIGHT IDENTITY THEFT!
A person preparing or filing a document for recordation or filing in the official records may not include a social security, driver's license, state identification, passport, checking account, savings account, credit card, or debit card number, or PIN code, or passwords in the document, unless expressly required by law.
An individual has a right to request a register of deeds or clerk of court to remove from an image or copy of an official record placed on a publicly available Internet web site used by a register of deeds or clerk of court to display public records, any social security, driver's license, state identification, passport, checking account, savings account, credit card, or debit card number, or PIN, or passwords contained in an official record.
The request must be in writing and delivered by mail, facsimile, or electronic transmission or in person, to the register of deeds or clerk of court.
The request must specify the identification page number that contains the social security, driver's license, state identification, passport, checking account, savings account, credit card, debit card number, or PIN code, or passwords to be redacted.
There is no fee for the redaction pursuant to request.
If you see a Social Security or other personal information on line, please e-mail us.
DISCLAIMER: Forms provided on the Berkeley County Register of Deeds web site are to illustrate the 'form' of documents that meets the basic Recording requirements of the State of South Carolina and local Ordinances, Rules and Regulations. No suitability or sufficiency of purpose is expressed or implied by the Berkeley County Register of Deeds.
Users of these forms are encouraged to engage the services of a licensed Attorney to ensure the suitability and sufficiency of any form obtained from this site, as to the form, content, and proper execution necessary to perfect the desired effect, and to ensure recordability compliance of any instrument to be filed in the office of the Berkeley County, SC Register of Deeds.
MONCKS CORNER, S.C. – (Thursday, August 31, 2023) – Berkeley County Government is encouraging any resident or business that sustained storm damage from Idalia to report it online HERE or via the Citizen Call Line at 843-719-4800 and leave a…
MONCKS CORNER, S.C. – (Wednesday, August 30, 2023) – As Idalia approaches, Berkeley County remains under a Tropical Storm Warning, which means Tropical Storm force winds are possible within the next 36 hours,…
MONCKS CORNER, S.C. – (Tuesday, August 29, 2023) – Berkeley County Emergency Management officials and leaders are continuing to monitor Hurricane Idalia, set to make landfall early Wednesday as a category 3 storm…
MONCKS CORNER, S.C. – (Monday, August 28, 2023) – Berkeley County Emergency Management officials and leaders are currently monitoring Tropical Storm Idalia. National weather experts are predicting the storm will become a major…
MONCKS CORNER, S.C. – (Thursday, July 6, 2023) – Berkeley County Government is hosting an in-house job fair for open County positions on Thursday, July 13 from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. The…