This office handles all workers’ compensation claims as well as investigates accidents involving vehicle and equipment damage.
If you are a citizen and you witness a safety hazard, an accident or injury involving a Berkeley County/BCWS employee or damage to Berkeley County/BCWS property, either report it to their supervisor or call the Safety & Risk Management Department at (843) 719-4163.
Specific functions performed by the Safety & Risk Management Department include:
- Administering the Workers' Compensation Program for Berkeley County and BCWS.
- Processing workers' compensation claims.
- Maintaining all workers' compensation claim files for the County and BCWS.
- Completing and maintaining Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) record-keeping logs and reports.
- Training all Berkeley County/BCWS employees in general safety awareness, hazardous communications, blood borne pathogens and defensive driving.
- Conducting investigations on accidents and near misses.
- Conducting job site audits to assist employees in complying with applicable regulations and to record violations.
- Providing safety training materials, including safety videos and handouts.
- Working closely with Supervisors and Management to correct hazards.
- Training County departments in different safety standards such as confined space, fall protection, personal protective equipment, general construction, identify theft and ergonomics.
- Preparing statistical analyses of injuries and accidents to determine proactive approaches to prevention.
- Administering the Alcohol and Drug testing program
Berkeley County Warns of Phone and Email Scams
MONCKS CORNER, S.C. – (Thursday, January 5, 2023) – Berkeley County is issuing a public warning about phone and email scams from senders attempting to identify as Berkeley County Government officials and/or employees.…
Berkeley County Announces Upcoming Holiday Closures & Hours
MONCKS CORNER, S.C. – (Monday, December 5, 2022) – Berkeley County Government announces its upcoming closures and unique hours for its various facilities during this holiday season. GOVERNMENT OFFICES: All County Government offices…
Berkeley County to Hold In-House Job Fair October 6
MONCKS CORNER, S.C. – (Tuesday, October 4, 2022) – Berkeley County Government is hosting an in-house job fair for open County positions on Thursday, October 6, 2022 from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.…
Emergency Response Vehicles Delayed in Berkeley County Throughout Ian
MONCKS CORNER, S.C. – (Friday, September 30, 2022) – Emergency responses across Berkeley County are currently delayed. Due to high winds, high-profile vehicles (i.e. ambulances, fire trucks, and utility vehicles) are periodically suspended…
Berkeley County to Partially Activate Emergency Operations Center Friday, Sept. 30
MONCKS CORNER, S.C. – (Thursday, September 29, 2022) – Berkeley County will move from OPCON 3 to OPCON 2 at 6 a.m. on Friday, September 30, partially activating its Emergency Operations Center (EOC).…