IT IS ORDERED that Circuit, Family, Probate, and Master-in-Equity Courts statewide may begin holding in-person proceedings, other than jury trials, on Monday, March 15. Additionally, Circuit Courts may conduct in-person grand jury proceedings beginning March 15. IT IS FURTHER ORDERED that Circuit Courts statewide may begin holding jury trials on Monday, April 5.
Please call the courts for questions regarding a specific case.
• Visitors will be subject to a temperature check and standard security screening protocols. If you have a temperature of 100.4 or higher, you will NOT be allowed to enter the courthouse.
• Court filings will be accepted by mail, drop-off bins, and e-filing, where e-filing is applicable. All drop-off filings must be in a clearly labeled sealed envelope that includes name and contact information. Drop-off bins are located at the front of the courthouse by the main entrance. The drive-thru window is now closed.
• If you are filing for Emergency Petitions for Orders of Protection from Domestic Abuse, Public Defender for adult offenders, Public Defender for juveniles, please visit the Berkeley County Clerk of Court webpage under “forms and documents” to expedite the application process. Have all documentation properly filled out before submitting it to the Clerk’s Office.
All CP filings may be dropped off in the CP box in front of the courthouse or mailed to the office. If you have any questions regarding Common Pleas filings please call 843-719-4490 or 843-719-4403.
Statewide Evictions and Foreclosures
All evictions currently ordered and scheduled statewide shall resume May 15, 2020. Furthermore, the court shall accept applications for ejectment, schedule hearings, issue writs or warrants of ejectment, and proceed in any other manner necessary regarding evictions beginning May 15, 2020.
Helpful Contacts If you are in need of an attorney, there are several sources of information available that can assist you in making an informed decision. For attorney information, call the S.C. Lawyers Referral Service at 800-868-2284 or the South Carolina Legal Services 888-346-5592.
- Schedule criminal cases for trial; contact the Solicitor’s Office (843) 719-4529
- Filing of general partnership forms; contact the Register of Deeds’ Office (843) 719-4084
- Issue marriage licenses or maintain marriage records; contact Probate Court (843) 719-4519
- Record land transactions; contact the Register of Deeds’ Office (843) 719-4084
- Issue restraining orders; contact Magistrate Courts (843) 719-4220
- Accept payment for traffic tickets; contact Magistrate Courts (843) 719-4220
- E-Filing Website for Attorneys Only ()
- Process legal actions of a civil nature, for claims involving more than $7,500. You may also contact Magistrate’s Court (843) 719-4220
- Maintain the records of cases heard in the Court of Common Pleas, which involve civil disputes between two or more parties
- Keep records of criminal cases heard in the Court of General Sessions
- Maintain the records of Family Court which includes juvenile, domestic relations, child support, interstate custody, abuse and neglect, termination of parental rights, orders of protection, adoption and Uniform Reciprocal Enforcement of Support Act cases
- Schedule Civil Jury and Non-Jury trials
- Keep records of judgments for the Court of Common Pleas
- Prepare and schedule hearing dockets for Family Court judges
- Collect and disburse court-ordered monies
- Maintain records of bond issues
- Provide copies of divorce decrees and maintain the records of divorce proceedings
- Record notaries and maintain notary applications
South Carolina Courts’list of things court staff can and cannot do
MONCKS CORNER, S.C. – (Thursday, March 18, 2021) – All Berkeley County Government Offices and the Courthouse will close at 2 p.m. today, Thursday, March 18 due to the threat of severe weather.…
Starting Monday, September 21, 2020, South Carolina court operations will resume normal scheduling and docket management, including in-person hearings in Circuit Court and Family Court, as well as General Sessions and Common Pleas…
MONCKS CORNER, S.C.- (August 3, 2020) — All Berkeley County Offices will close at 2 p.m. Monday, August 3 due to Tropical Storm Isaias. This closure includes the Berkeley County Courthouse, Libraries, Animal…
MONCKS CORNER, S.C.- (Tuesday, May 26, 2020) – Berkeley County Clerk of Court Leah Dupree announces the following reopening plan for the Berkeley County Courthouse. On June 1, Family Court will resume a…
MONCKS CORNER, S.C.- (Friday, May 8, 2020) – Berkeley County Government buildings will reopen to the public on Wednesday, May 20. The Voters Registration and Elections Office will be open to the public…